When we think of getting healthy and improving our lives we tend to go straight for diet and exercise, however, that is not the only way to make positive change in your life. Here are some simple things you can do to live healthier and feel better without having to make any extreme changes to your life.
- Stretching can have a major impact on our daily health, even if you do not work out. Doing some simple stretches for a few minutes each day can keep you nimble and allow your body to relax as you release tension from your muscles. Many of us tense up during the day without even realizing it until we have a pain in our neck, back, or anywhere else. Stretching can help you put your body at ease making you feel better and more relaxed.
Get Some Steps In
- A lot of us spend 8 or more hours a day at least 5 days a week sitting at a desk, others may spend most of their time driving, either way we are not moving a lot. Being mindful of how long we have been sitting down can give us a chance to remember to get up and walk around. You can begin by setting alarms on your phone or computer reminding you to get up and move. While you are up, try to stretch a little to relax your muscles and avoid neck and back pain.
Drink More Water
- Everyone has been told this at some point or another by their doctor, and it is true, most of us are not drinking as much water as we need. It is so easy to pick up a drink with sugar and caffeine and lots of flavor, but we need to be mindful of our water consumption. Set goals for yourself like allowing yourself one fun drink for every two cups of water you drink. Or get yourself one of the big bottles with times listed on the side to help pace yourself throughout the day.
- Most of us associate sunscreen with the beach, lake, pool, or waterpark but we should be wearing it every day. The sun can cause a lot of damage to our skin over the years, especially if you tend to spend a lot of time outdoors. An easy way to wear sunscreen without breaking out the summer sunscreen stash is to get a daily moisturizer with spf in it. You can put it on in the morning as you are getting ready or right after you shower to help keep your skin hydrated and protected.
Cut Down On Alcohol
- A lot of adults enjoy a nice drink every so often for a variety of reasons, to celebrate, to relax, or to have fun but we must be careful not to overindulge. Alcohol can have a very negative effect on our health, from liver problems to worsening the effects of medical issues such as diabetes. One drink once in a blue moon will not have much of an effect but drinking frequently can be a dangerous game over time. If you can, keep drinking to special events only and keep the number of drinks to a minimum.
Read Before Bed
- Screens emit a blue light that can have a major effect on our ability to fall asleep, stay asleep, and the quality of our sleep. If you find yourself having these issues, try turning off all screens a few hours before you go to bed to give your eyes and brain time to adjust. If you need something to do aside from cooking or chores try reading. Reading is great and enjoyable activity and can help your body feel relaxed as the night takes over. We already spend so much time in front of screens that switching to other night time activities gives our bodies the break they need.